The Silver Bayonet

I was at Kiepencon, a local small convention in Münster, where I had a very, very pleasurable second game of the napoleonic horror game Silver Bayonet. My first one was one year earlier at exactly the same place! But now it really hit me. We played the new Canada expansion and Mark, who hosted the game tailored us a third party for the scenario because we told him we would be three friends visiting. He even hastily painted a figure the night before. Generous!

So as I remember, we were three bands on a rescue mission to recover a lost expedition which should have returned to the outpost weeks ago! We could have played completely cooperatively but in turn two I decided to open fire not just on the NPCs guarding the wounded and captured expedition but also my fellows. I wanted the reward myself and of course the other bands always were nasty competition in the fur business. He tailored the scenario around the characters from the movie The Revenant. A rather fitting choice. In the end we provoked a lot of monsters to show up on the table but did well against them. It was a wonderfully atmospheric game!

The treacherous Monsieur Le Bois taking aim at his unexpecting competitors

We found the lost expedition, but rescuing them will not be an easy task

We found them! But what is that lurking in the back there?

A Wendig appears! By this time we had rolled double 10s 3 times now.
Each time some creature appeared making our lives harder.


My new Project


I painted my first miniature for the game actually the same day on the evening I returned home. I've had this idea since I first played the game, but as it sometimes goes, the energy quickly left and I jumped to other things quickly. Mainly because I really didn't like the idea of having to have a lot of 28mm terrain to put somewhere. I really much prefer the 15mm (or smaller) counterpart. But here I am painting up a 28mm figure for this new project. My idea is to link it to my age of sail project, having enjoyed the Horatio Hornblower series as well as Peter O'Brians Jack Aubrey a little too much I figure a naval landing party with a ship hunting down the mysteries of the Silver Bayonet world would be a wonderful idea for this game. Maybe I'll find a way to combine the two games in a fun way.


The first character. I think he'll be a Junior Officer in the Silver Bayonet Rules

The first protagonist

Lieutenant Reginald Harrington, a seasoned officer of the Royal Navy, leads a warband attached to the HMS Serpent. Tasked with investigating the mysterious powers unleashed by Napoleon in Egypt, Harrington discovered an ancient artifact harboring supernatural energies. Napoleon, utilizing this mystical force, gained an unnatural advantage in his conquests across Europe. Harrington's adaptability, strategic acumen, and deep interest in ancient history qualify him for this unconventional mission. Determined to thwart the dark powers aiding Napoleon, he now navigates the perilous Mediterranean, committed to uncovering and neutralizing the mystical threat.


Lieutenant Reginald Harrington overlooking his majesty's ships off the coast of Gibraltar

More to come. 

So long and take care.
The Laughing Helmet

Comments

Popular Posts